Our Mission at Southern Maine Parent Awareness
SMPA is dedicated to providing information, referral support and education to families who have children and youth with special needs throughout Maine.
Together Finding Solutions
- Individualized telephone and email consultation
- Information and referral on special education, disability and community resources
- Individualized family conferences
- Assistance in preparing for IFSP/IEP meetings
Workshops on topics such as:
- New State Forms
- Special Education
- Parent Professioinal Partnerships
- Collaborative workshops
- Annual Conference
- York County Foster and Adoptive Parents support group
- Special Moms Supporting Special Moms (SM2)
- 2 Autism/PDD/Asperger's Groups
- Information and referrals to other support groups
- Parent-to-parent connections
- Resource library
- Community presentations
- Integrating Initiatives of York County (IIYC)
Sharing Transitional Opportunities through Partnership (STOP) Preventing students from exiting school early. SMPA's Drop Out Prevention program.
SMPA believes in working collaboratively to create systemic change. Listed below are some of the committees and groups our board and staff are actively involved with:
SMPA enjoys sharing our space with other groups to maximize the use of available resources and build relationships and awareness in our community. Several groups currently use our Libby/Wakefield Conference Center. Contact us if you are in need of a meeting space in Sanford to check availability.